The Serbian Parliament adopted amendments to the laws on foreigners and their employment.
Now you can apply for citizenship after three years of living in the country.
According to the amendments, it is possible to obtain a (residence permit) and a work permit at the same time by issuing a “single permit” document at the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Serbia.
What other changes:
- the work permit will be valid for three years (currently one year);
- the maximum period of validity of a residence permit has been increased from one year to three years;
- a foreigner will be able to obtain a permanent residence permit (permanent residence) in Serbia after three years of residence in the country (now after five years);
- visas to Serbia will be issued in electronic format;
- it will be possible to apply for citizenship after three years of living in Serbia (now after five years).
In the first version of the bill, which appeared in March this year, the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Serbia wanted to allow foreigners to apply for citizenship after a year of residence on a residence permit and with official employment in a Serbian company. However, the initiative was frozen.